Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Pendatang in Kuala Lumpur City

This evening I went to Kuala Lumpur by KTM Komuter. At the train station, I felt like a visitor in her own country…there were more non-Malaysians waiting for the train and in the train itself.

Upon reaching the city, while walking towards Central Market, I observed the streets filled with many faces from Indonesia, Myanmar, Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and some which I cannot identify by nationality.

After getting the stuff I wanted at Jalan Silang, I walked towards Petaling Street aka China Town. By the name of China Town, it is expected and understood that most of the stalls would be owned & manned by Chinese traders. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Instead it was 90% manned by Pakistanese and Indians (as in Indians from India, not Malaysian Indians).

It is so sad as this was not the Chi Chong Kai atmospheres we experienced during the 80s and 90s.

The worst was the return train journey. Hordes of foreigners were at the ticketing booth and the word ‘ QUEUE ‘ is not part of their daily activity.

Getting on the train (which has run late by 30 minutes), I was practically squashed against the glass panel due to the tremendously large crowd Outstretched arms of various colors all over my head as they held on to the standing pole. I have to hunch myself in order not to knock into these arms and also to avoid staring at armpits. Luckily most of them were clad in long sleeves, o/wise I will really have some scary 'hairy’ view.

I truly felt like a pendatang in her own country..

No comments: